[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Jeffrey Nonken jjn_rescue at nonken.net
Sat Sep 17 18:25:08 CDT 2005

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:02:08 +0000 (UTC), Peter wrote:
> Your UPS outlasts your power outages? Wow.

At my last apartment the power was flakey. Glitches all the time. Sometime
turning on a large appliance seemed to cause a brief power dip.

My wife and our kids were living with her mother for most of a year. Flakey
power there too.

She blames aluminum wiring in both cases.

In any case, she got ahold of some old UPSes that didn't have much life left
in the batteries, but for this problem a couple minutes' worth was enough to
ride out the glitches. Now that we're settled in the new place the power seems
fine, but I'm running everything on the UPSes anyway.

On another note, the complex where I was previously (flakey power, see above)
was recently (after I left, fortunately for me) subject to a nasty surge
followed by a long-term brownout (~90 volts for several hours). Since PeeCee
power supplies tend to be cheap, not reliable, I cringe at the potential loss
of equipment. A decent UPS will generally keep that from being a problem.

Now I just need some fresh batteries.

-----
Jeffrey Nonken - http://jnork.nonken.net/
Are you a spam zombie? ARE YOU SURE?