[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Peter abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Sep 17 17:02:08 CDT 2005

Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Nope. I managed to survive the Great Eastern Blackout with it.
> Separate UPS and all.

Your UPS outlasts your power outages? Wow.

Mine seems to be mostly a waste of space. Until recently, I've always
lived in cities that have had very reliable power, but now I'm in
semirural Warwickshire it flops up and down with the weather. Although
to be fair, it's been over a year since the grid went down for longer
than the UPS could manage.

The main culprit seems to be My landlord who I share a fusebox with.
He has an irritating habit of rescuing household appliances that were
thrown out by their previous owners for a reason. Tonight's power cut
and subsequent reboot of mooli.org.uk was thanks to an electric fire
that had been pulled out of damp storage.

In summary: Rescuing VAX computers, good. Rescuing VAX vacuum
cleaners, bad :)

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key
/:.*posting.google.com.*/HX-Trace:+j