[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sat Sep 17 11:29:29 CDT 2005

On Saturday 17 September 2005 12:20 am, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > IBM's promotion of Linux on all of their hardware now helps to improve
> > their cred, and makes their POWER stuff much more usable.
>
> I definitely prefer AIX over Linux.

I prefer it to all.  I  "grew up" on AIX and have recently had to take on
HP-UX and Solaris responsibilities at work.  HP-UX is probably closest to AIX
but I hate the pricing model that HP uses, and I hope that management quickly
realize that although the base package is cheaper, by the time you add
everything needed to do the job it's well more than another solution.  (Hell,
basic disk mirroring is an ADD-ON!?!?)  And then Solaris.... heh, I like you
guys, but I have no f'in clue why ya'll love Solaris so dang much.  It seems
prehistoric and terse to me, particuarly in operations that deal with a box's
hardware.

Just my viewpoint.  We should probably wander off this particular topic tho ;)

-E.