[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 17 03:09:12 CDT 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:54:51 -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> hardware that doesn't break anywhere near as much as E10ks do.  We've
> got E10k's and F6800s at work, and as someone else noted, they seem to
> consume CPUs/CPU boards as well.  Anyways, the point of a mainframe is

I don't know about E10k's, but I've got F6900's at work that go through
parts fairly rapidly - power supplies, CPU boards, system controllers.
It would be nice if Sun did somewhat better. However it isn't quite as
bad as it seems as I haven't had any downtime because of these failures.

Sometimes you have good luck with reliability and sometimes bad. But
it's nice to know that even with bad reliability the machine tends to
stay up (at least for me).