[rescue] e450 and debian linux

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:03:26 CDT 2005

On 9/16/05, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/05, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How did you get that going? I'd love to do that, but the only way I've
found
> is if I have a remote X display that is _always_ up, no advantage there
then
> and hard to accomplish here. Plus network traffic. I had a Sun doc that
said
> that wintel servers do not support headless operation and Sun PCI III cards
> because of that require an X server available at all times. Basically, the
> server is no longer available (even thru winvnc) if you lose the X
> display(!).

Uh, plug a serial adaptor and cable into some other machine and
connect to it?  I guess the only bad assumption there is that you
have another machine you can connect from.

While some previous maroon thought it was cool/useful/whatever
to put heads on the Suns here in the our datacenter (they are
coming off this weekend), I've never been in another environment
where the Suns were set up that way.

Now, the choice of serial concentrators in some of the places was
at best, iffy, but I've never had heads on anything but workstations
before.

=Nadine=