[rescue] e450 and debian linux

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 14:43:51 CDT 2005

On 9/16/05, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Francois Dion wrote:
> > On 9/16/05, Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Of course, a better question is why someone would want to use a
> >>framebuffer in an E450. There's much smaller, and much quieter
> >>workstation machine, and servers shouldn't ever be running a graphical
> >>environment. :)
> >

> > Unless you have SunPCI cards, it's a pain if you dont have a console
> > framebuffer.
>
> I just use a console terminal.

How did you get that going? I'd love to do that, but the only way I've found
is if I have a remote X display that is _always_ up, no advantage there then
and hard to accomplish here. Plus network traffic. I had a Sun doc that said
that wintel servers do not support headless operation and Sun PCI III cards
because of that require an X server available at all times. Basically, the
server is no longer available (even thru winvnc) if you lose the X
display(!).

Ciao,
Francois