[rescue] e450 and debian linux

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Sep 16 11:24:12 CDT 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 11:11, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366
wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 11:53, Wes Will wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I have finally prevailed upon one of the other system geeks here to
> > install linux on an e450 he had lying about doing nothing.  He
> > chose the Debian distro, for whatever reason, and has been
> > trundling along installing it for a couple of days, with several
> > false starts.  It has a gfxp8 Raptor frame buffer inside, and he
> > just asked me the question:
> >
> > What linux driver works for this thing?
>
> Find the specially marked Linux distro called "Solaris 10".  It comes
> on one DVD or several CD disks.
>
> Really, I wouldn't expect Linux to work well at all ^H^H^H^H^H on
> this hardware.

Why?  IME Linux/Sparc64 is a pretty good platform, at least for server
use.  Take my mail/web/ftp server for instance:
pat at e3000:~$ uname -a
Linux e3000 2.6.10 #2 SMP Wed Jan 19 13:04:03 EST 2005 sparc64 GNU/Linux
pat at e3000:~$ uptime
 11:24:21 up 95 days, 17:04,  2 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.08, 0.02

The last time the machine went down is when the power to the building
was shut down, because our power feed was being worked on.

Of course, a better question is why someone would want to use a
framebuffer in an E450.  There's much smaller, and much quieter
workstation machine, and servers shouldn't ever be running a graphical
environment. :)

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/