[rescue] Clear Origin 200 PROM password?

Brian Nelson nelsonbt2001 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 21:04:06 CDT 2005

Thanks to the helpful folks out there.
I seem to have stumbled across something interesting though, which
made clearing the password trivial.

It seems that by having a hard disk with nothing on it  (that an SGI
could make sense of) installed at the defult boot path, funny things
would happen at the prom menu.  If I tried to use the first option
which runs the default boot, it'd fail and drop back to the menu as
one would expect. BUT, for a short period of time, I could use any
other option in the menu without entering the password.  (short, as in
less than a second).  So a quick selection of 5 for the console, a
resetpw, and everything's good to go.

Has anyone else run into anything odd like this (on an SGI or Sun, or
whateve)?
I'm obviously hoping that this isn't some sign of a hardware problem...
Anyway, on to operating systems for me.

Brian Nelson