[rescue] Clear Origin 200 PROM password?

Brian Nelson nelsonbt2001 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 18:56:43 CDT 2005

Fellow Rescuers,
I've just started working on an ebay'd SGI Origin 200 and am stuck
 on the PROM password.
I'm at least the third owner of the thing, and the previous owner
never had the thing up and running (he had no disks or memory), so I
doubt I'll find out the password through normal means.

I know it's possible to clear the password on an Indigo and an Indy
with jumpers or pulled ICs (been there, done that), but how about an
Origin 200?

The only IRIX install I currently have total access to is 6.2 on an
R5K Indy. Without CDs, is it possible to clone that to something the
Origin could boot from? And from there use nvram tools within IRIX to
clear the password?

Thanks,
Brian Nelson

p.s. recommendations on better places to query are appreciated.