[rescue] I tried one last time ...

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 11:52:43 CDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:40:19 -0500, Wes Will wrote:
> One of the companies in the chain of acquisitions is in the UK, and I
> even called them.  Singularly unhelpful, bordering on extremely rude,
> with one of the most impenetrable Bow Bells accents you can imagine.

Didn't want to speak to you. Perhaps they didn't understand *your*
impenetrable accent :) Or perhaps you just called at the wrong time of
day (most people over here with extreme accents who work with phones
automatically tone down the accent when on the phone).

Bow Bells: Now that's something you don't hear much these days. You
don't find many people with working-class accents living close to St
Mary-le-Bow and it's unlikely you'll hear the bells from places like
Bethnal Green. The cockney accent of the "Bow Bells" phrase has pretty
much died out to be replaced with a more modern cockney. Not that it
matters except that the phrase sounds kind of quaint.

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:12:58 -0500, Wes Will wrote:
> wes will
> aka eoin caimbeul in my other self as a nut-case.

A Welsh alter-ego ? Sounds like there might be a story behind that.