[rescue] New find of the month...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Oct 14 00:56:58 CDT 2005

Patrick Finnegan declared on Wednesday 12 October 2005 02:48 pm:
> Found an AS/400 model 600 or 620 today.  Not sure what kind of config
> yet, but it appears to still have all of its drives intact, and came
> wiht documentation, software, its console twinax terminal, and
> call-home modem.

Ok.  Spent some time getting the machine set up in the family room
tonight, and after correctly setting the address on the console terminal
to 0 (instead of 6), I got the machine booted, and then later found out
via reading manuals and USENET postings how to reset QSECOFR's password
(and found out what the name of that account was :).

I've gotta say OS/400 is very, very weird.  I'm not sure how else to put
it.  I'm still trying to figure out how to locate/view files on the
machine.  It appears to have been used in Purdue's Union Club hotel, and
was connected to a PBX systems, and possibly also a guest room door
entry card system, from looking at the descriptions it had of devices
connected to it.

Does anyone (Sridhar?) know of any good "learing OS/400" type references?
I could look through Amazon or IBM's OS/400 literature for
possibilities, but it'd be nice to have a recommendation from someone
who knows anything about this stuff first.

Pat