[rescue] Difference between U5/10?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Oct 11 20:59:05 CDT 2005

Phil Stracchino declared on Tuesday 11 October 2005 03:08 pm:
> FitzGerrell, Kevin (Kinleith) wrote:
> > I don't see why you couldn't use the same system board in both
> > boxes, albeit with different riser cards.  Here's the parts lists
> > for system boards for U5 and U10 from Sun:
> >
> > Ultra 5
> > ------------------------------
> > 375-0009 	270MHz
> > 375-0066 	270/333/360/400MHz
> > 375-0079 	270/333/360/400MHz
> > 375-0115 	333/360/400MHz
> > 375-3060 	333/360/400MHz
> >
> > Ultra 10
> > 375-0009 	300/333MHz
> > 375-0066 	333/360/440MHz
> > 375-0079 	333/360/440MHz
> > 375-0115 	333/360/440MHz
> > 375-3060 	333/360/440MHz
>
> So ... if it's in a U5 and has a 333MHz or better, it'll take a 400.
> And, if it's in a U5 and will take a 400, the same board in a U10 will
> take a 440, so it too should take a 440.

Not exactly.  As I said before, any board can take any CPU as long as it
has a new enough OBP/POST revision.  I've stuck a 440MHz CPU in a
375-0009 board, and it works just fine (after the board was reflashed).

> That said, I doubt the upgrade would be worth it for what I'm using my
> two U5s for.

Possibly, but that's a more subjective call. :)

Pat