[rescue] Bad UPS II: The Sad Mac

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Oct 7 17:01:09 CDT 2005

velociraptor wrote:
> On 10/7/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
>>>or that horrible B&W http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/
>>
>>This one is OK, but not all that great.
>>
>>It could be redone by better writer and director.  It would have worked
>>out so much better had things been more subtle.
>
> Kubrick never intended to be subtle in his commentary on the
> frailty and inadequacy of human language and communication.

Well, we see different things then.  I think some of his stuff was very
subtle, certainly moreso than this one.

I like Kubrick, just not that movie.  To me, this is a lot different
than his other work, and not among his best.

I found that some of it went too far over the top or was too absurd.
There is a point at which exaggeration loses the message instead of
reinforcing it, and tends to drop the viewer out of the movie instead of
keeping their attention.

Of course, I don't tend to like exaggerated humor as a medium for ideas
except in rare circumstances anyway, so it may be that more than
anything else.

> Every single movie he made concerns the topic.

Can't agree with you there, and can't imagine what makes you say that.

Kubrick talked about and covered a lot more themes than just that.  The
theme of human language and communication failures is not exactly rare,
and all films that feature are going to be about that to a degree.