[rescue] Bad UPS II: The Sad Mac

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Fri Oct 7 14:23:27 CDT 2005

On Oct 7, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Brian Dunbar wrote:
>

>> You might have missed the point.
>>
>> I'll have to find a way to markup my puns in the future.  Or stop
>> assuming that everyone knows about classic noire cinema.
>>
>> Ahem.  "Postman Always Rings Twice"  Ahem.
>>

> I understood your reference.
>
> My response was to the idea that they have better customer service.
> I thought that part was serious.  Was it a joke too?

Yes and no?  Service in Dallas was 'iffy'.  The postal employees I've
dealt with since moving to Wisconsin are very nearly smart, pleasant
people and easy to work with.  The fellow at the counter downtown
really pushes the merchandise but it's almost with a wink and a nod -
yes, they tell me to push this stuff and so I do but c'mon - you want
Packer merchandise from the post office?  The carrier who delivered
to our rental was friendly and I swear if she had the time she'd stop
for coffee at some of the houses on her route.  So is the regular guy
who delivers to the 'new' house but he's motorized so he doesn't get
the same opportunity to chit-chat.

Plus the latter guy always has a biscuit for the dogs.  I was not
aware of this until I happened to be home one day when he came by.
German Shepherd (a large one) races to the end of driveway, puts her
paws on his door sill.  I'm horrified - she's never DONE that and
I've visions of bitten postal workers and lawsuits.

Wait - her tail is wagging.  She's not lunging into the window she's
waiting.  She sits.  She gets her biscuit and trots off to bury it.
Then the other (smaller) dog gets hers.  He carries a bag of the
things for all the mutts on his route.

Is it the small town that makes the diff?  Something in the air?  I
dunno - if it weren't for winter and the teeny tiny job market this
place would be nearly perfect.

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator II
Desk: (920) 751-3364