[rescue] XVR-100 in older systems

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed May 25 09:33:30 CDT 2005

On 5/25/05, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello all, based on the recent thread about framebuffers, I was wondering
if
> the XVR-100 is supported in any of the older Ultras (like 30, 60, E450 or
> CycleQuad)? I'm pretty sure the 30, 60 and E450 have 66 MHz PCI slots
> available, but I'm not sure on the CycleQuad - is that the only hard
> requirement, or is OBP support needed as well?

66 MHz PCI is not a requirement. It will work in a 33MHz slot. The
Blade 100 is not supported according to the manual (or the U60), yet
some have been able to use it in the 100 and u60:
http://sysadminforum.com/t20110.html

Solaris 8 performance was poor. I run an XVR-100 in a Blade 150 with
sol 10 3/05 and it's ok. Even with JDS3. Of course the blade 150 is
slow anyway... Running XFCE and that is much more acceptable.

> The prices on eBay seem decent, and the inclusion of DVI on the card makes
> it appealing to me for flat panel use...

There is an earlier version with 3 ports: hd15, dvi and svideo,
however the svideo is not supported under solaris.

Francois