[rescue] Wifi Bridge?

Michael Dombrowski ab1244 at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 11:11:02 CDT 2005

> On May 17, 2005, at 10:02 PM, Michael Dombrowski
> wrote:
>
> > I need to get a Mac and Sun on a 802.11b/g
> network,
> > can anyone recommend a cheap bridge? I know I can
> get
> > another WRT54G and use that but are there any
> other
> > routers out there that can also bridge?
>
> Get a d-link dwl-810+ or dwl-800. Those can be
> hacked to AP, Repeater
> or Bridge very easy.
> They work really stable (11mbit only). I had one
> outside bridging a
> network to a project in the backyard and it's pretty
> stable.
>
> I think I got mine refurbished for $20 of ebay...
>
> -- Thomas

Thanks for the hint, I'll take a look at those. That's
about what I was looking to spend, any more and I'd
just as soon get a wrt54g. As someone else mentioned,
there are a couple 3rd party firmwares other than
Sveasoft and OpenWRT, although many of them are based
off one of those two. OpenWRT is what I run on my
wrt54g and it is _beautiful_. It just works. Clean
config files, sane basic install, straightforward
config, etc. Bare linux install, get the packages for
what you want and go. I have SSH, Web-interface, and
OpenVPN on mine and it just works wonderfully. WPA,
VPN endpoint, etc. I can't really say enough good
about it. Not run by a flamer like Sveasoft either.

As to the person who bricked theirs, can't you unbrick
via the boot_wait setting and a tftp upload? The
OpenWRT docs make very clear that setting boot_wait is
a good thing and will let you recover from a lot of
problems without any case cracking.

Mike