[rescue] FPGAs

Rox rox at sunmuseum.org
Tue May 17 07:44:11 CDT 2005

On 17 May 2005 at 7:13, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:

> (That's DIP, BTW. Dual Inline Package.)

It was a historical reference using the terminology that was in current
usage at that time ;)

> I've removed surface-mount components (all of them, of course) by
> heating my toaster oven on Broil and putting the board in...

There are many variations of the technique, but the idea of directing
the heat at the board is to minimize the heating effect on the
components. The most appropriate method depends upon whether it is
primarily the component or the board that is to be salvaged.

> In my limiited experience they don't slide or drop right off, you
> have to give the board a tap.

Yes, some mechanical assistance is usually necessary - molten solder
has considerable surface tension. If the component is a suitable shape
and size, I generally grip it with something and apply a gentle pulling
force at the same time as the heat.

> ... YMM definately V.

That's a given with any such drastic measure :)  I have used it
successfully quite a lot though. The usual disclaimers apply, obviously
- don't apply heat or flames to electronic components or apparatus
unless you are aware of all the potential hazards, including but not
limited to explosion, release of toxic fumes, burns, damage to
surrounding buildings and domestic harmony (especially when using the
toaster oven without the consent of it's primary user)

--
  Regards
  -/ Rox /-    <sunmuseum.org>