[rescue] $35 50gig drives

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Wed May 11 00:11:37 CDT 2005

On 2005-05-10 21:35, velociraptor wrote:

> On 5/10/05, Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone dealt with some of the older Cisco routers that regularly
>> wrote all sorts of logs to flash?  They had to replace the flash cards
>> fairly often, usually on a schedule designed to prevent them from
>> failing.  I used to scarf them up for my Newtons cheap.  (my 2100
>> has dual 40MB cards.  woohoo!)
>
> Are those the standard full size PCMCIA flash cards or the one with
> the special formatting that PC laptops don't recognize?

No, they're the standard, full-size PCMCIA Flash cards without special
formatting that PC laptops don't recognise. :-P

It's called "linear flash", as opposed to "ATA flash", which presents itself
to the host as an ATA device.

> With the price of compact flash these days, and two ~$10
> adaptors, you could have 2GB in there easily if they take
> standard flash.

They do, but only with a third-party driver. Haven't tried it, though; I
have a stack of Intel 100-series 6 MB linear flash cards, that is more than
enough for my Newton storage needs.

> I have what appears to be a perfect Newton MP 120 that I have
> no AC adaptor for...anyone know of any good online resources
> for trying to trouble-shoot it (other than the Newton FAQ)?  I
> think it may just be a dead backup battery, but don't know for
> sure.

The Newton FAQ is a bit outdated. Try the Newton Wiki:
<http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/>

The NewtonTalk mailing list archives are also a good resource:
<http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/>

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Common sense is what tells you the world is flat.