[rescue] $35 50gig drives

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue May 10 16:14:18 CDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 05:18:40PM -0400, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> At 04:55 PM 5/10/2005, you wrote:
> >> Indeed. Flash has a limited number of writes
> >
> >For the flash I've used, technically it is a limited number of erases,
> >not writes.
>
> This is true, I stand corrected.
>
> Since writing new data requires erasing the old data, unless I'm missing
> something, I believe it amounts to the same thing. A limited lifetime when
> used as a read-write medium.

In the context of this discussion that is correct.  However, it is
possible to create systems where writing new data doesn't always mean
having to erase something.  People have created logging file systems
specifically meant for extending flash life, but I don't see anyone
retrofitting those file systems onto legacy unix systems.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/