[rescue] $35 50gig drives

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue May 10 14:12:32 CDT 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> >I'd put money on new CF cards conking out before those old disks do.
>
> Indeed. Flash has a limited number of writes; hard drives have not. All
> things being equal, they're only limited by the endurance of their physical
> components.

Putting the swap file on flash is probably a very bad idea.  Mounting
the flash card readonly (with a remount for updates) with an optional nfs
mount for anything that needs to be written would probably let the flash
card last virtually forever.

Has anyone dealt with some of the older Cisco routers that regularly
wrote all sorts of logs to flash?  They had to replace the flash cards
fairly often, usually on a schedule designed to prevent them from
failing.  I used to scarf them up for my Newtons cheap.  (my 2100
has dual 40MB cards.  woohoo!)

-DanD

# What a hell of a heaven it will be, when they get all these hypocrites
# assembled there!  -Mark Twain