[rescue] PC->Mac->Sun Radeon

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon May 9 21:51:08 CDT 2005

On 5/9/05, Michael Dombrowski <ab1244 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Well, after doing some digging around, it seems that
> > the XVR-100 may
> > just be the same as the MAC version of the Radeon
> > 7000.  Witness:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040725051613/http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pu
b/Devices/Graphics/GRAPH_XVR_100.html

> > (Had to use the wayback machine as it seems the
> > information is no longer
> > available on the public side of the SUN web site...)
>
> Only problem is that the Mac cards are more expensive
> than XVRs from Sun on Ebay. So get a PC card, flash to
> Mac, and it might work in a Sun? Kinda gross but if it
> works...

There was a lot of to-do about this on the Mac boards (prolly
still is), b/c of the price differential b/w PC Radeon and Mac
Radeon.

It was in some cases, possible to do the flashing, but for the
most part, of the stuff I read around "Mac Radeon Edition"
days (actually the fastest PCI Mac Radeon--the 7K and later
are a step backward except in memory) was that the majority
of the PC Radeon cards had smaller firmware than the Mac
version, so therefore it was mostly "not possible" to flash a
PC card with Mac firmware.

There were some successful corner cases at the time, but
it seemed these were early revisions; some hardy souls
may have managed to figure out what could be axed from
the firmware, as happened with the cult support of the Voo-
doo 3 on the Mac.

The general consensus was that ATI had done it to keep the
prices up.  Sucks, but there it is.  Mac ATI cards still fetch
reasonable prices in the the aftermarket because of it.

Now, I don't know if the same is true of nVidia cards--on any
count.

=Nadine=