[rescue] Be and NeXT kit

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri May 6 12:20:08 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 12:00, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 05 May 2005 @ 21:18 -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. said:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 10:04, Wes Will wrote:
> > > Yes, I/we both knowit runs on Intel junk, but Jeff is interested in the
> > > hardware.  It's not just the OS, but the entire experience.  This guy is
> > > truly a candidate for this crew.  He still has an Atari 400xl running....
> >
> > bzzt... no such critter.... Atari 400/800/600XL/800XL/1200XL/65XE/130XE
> > were the 8 bit Atari computers (My first home computer was an Atari 400
> > and I still have it... (and several more)).
>
> You left out the 1400XL and the 1450XL, and yes, both were produced,
> just in very low quantities.

Left 'em out because they were never released (that I know of... I seem
to recall they never were actually released... that the ones out there
were review/prototype/initial units)....

I'd love to have a 1450XLD myself.

Would also love an 815 dual disk drive rig.

> > Unfortunately mine is not setup anywhere.... a problem I have to
> > rememdy someday.  Some of the games on the Atari (and C64/128 too)
> > were really great games (despite the 'limited' graphics of the day).
>
> The only thing I didn't like about the Atari was the 40 column text.
> That was a severe limitation when you needed to do a lot of terminal
> work, or word processing.

yes... but since most Atari's displayed to a TV, it was necessary.
(unfortunately).

> I used to login to minis using a terminal program that used the joystick
> to pan over an 80 or 130 column screen.

oooh... that's interesting...  I never really used mine online... but
there were some 80 column (software and hardware) implementations for
the 8bits...they required a monochrome monitor though as I recall...
looked really crummy on TV.

-- Curt