[rescue] $35 50gig drives

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Fri May 6 07:28:18 CDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005 21:31:38 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Timesharing systems are, IMHO, really good for learning.  For one
> thing, there is a kind of community around those machines that doesn't
> exist now.  It also taught us to be frugal with our shared resources.

Unfortunately, not only is teaching timesharing rare. But when it does
happen, the students seem to be too dumb to appreciate what it is. Many
of them have difficulty realising that the inside of the PuTTY window is
actually on a seperate machine. And they certainly don't realise they
have to be community-minded when it comes to hogging resources.

There again, I may just be pessimistic as I didn't get much sleep last
night.