[rescue] Storage technology

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Fri May 6 01:22:37 CDT 2005

> Anybody else still have an ST225, Seagate 20-meg meat grinder laying
> around?
> All those cables, one flex too many and no data, and the sheer TORQUE of
> the spindle motor kicking off while holding it in your hand!  MFM ruled.

Offf course. Every computer in a collector's hands should have the disks
that were "in" at it's time.

About torque and noise, there is some more heavy machinery here that I'd
like to mention: my Honeywell-Bull D510s (10 MB MFM, two of them,
full-height 5 1/4") and a 70 MB full-height ESDI drive that I got with my
PS/2 286. When it's run up to speed, it loads the heads and there is a faint
"ping  -  ping - ping-pingping" to be heard as if they were bouncing off the
surface a few times. I'm quite sure that's not what's happening (the drive
is healthy and tests OK) but just that sound is amazing.

> Then came RLL controllers, and I tried all of my MFM 20's on there to see
> if they could handle the thrashing that the controller gave them, to
> become 30's.  (About one in eight of my MFM drives could handle the
> demands placed on them by an RLL controller, for more than a few
> minutes.  The other seven became doorstops and boat anchors....)

They became _inoperable_? I thought the controllers would just spit media
errors and the disks would work fine again if reconnected to MFM controllers
and reformatted.

Man am I glad that I've got two ST238R and have not experimented with
non-RLL-rated drives on my ST-21R (original Seagate RLL controller).

Cheers,

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen

+++ Neu: Echte DSL-Flatrates von GMX - Surfen ohne Limits +++
Always online ab 4,99 Euro/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl