[rescue] $35 50gig drives

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed May 4 23:51:34 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 15:49, Wes Will wrote:
> >They have 50GB SCSI for $35 each, and IBM 36GB for $30 each.
>

> Anybody else still have an ST225, Seagate 20-meg meat grinder laying around?
> All those cables, one flex too many and no data, and the sheer TORQUE of
> the spindle motor kicking off while holding it in your hand!  MFM ruled.

Yup... I have a milk crate full of MFM drives... including 2 ST225.
Also includes an XT1140 and an XT2190 (maxtor 100ish and 200ish meg
MFM drives).  Have a 10 megger in there I think... and a 40 megger,
and a couple of 60 meggers (Micropolis 1325).

> Then came RLL controllers, and I tried all of my MFM 20's on there to see
> if they could handle the thrashing that the controller gave them, to become
> 30's.  (About one in eight of my MFM drives could handle the demands placed
> on them by an RLL controller, for more than a few minutes.  The other seven
> became doorstops and boat anchors....)

never tried this... skipped RLL and went to ESDI and SCSI...
barely used any IDE until a few years ago.. :-) (always went SCSI)

I'm probably one of the few 'geeks' locally that I know still has
some of this ancient tech around....  (will probably put the XT2190 in
my VAXstation 2000).

-- Curt