[rescue] $35 50gig drives

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Wed May 4 15:58:55 CDT 2005

Someone generated the quantum flux that came across as... Skeezics Boondoggle
> On Wed, 04 May 2005, "Rox" wrote:
>
>> On 4 May 2005 at 14:49, Wes Will wrote:
>>
>> > Anybody else still have an ST225, Seagate 20-meg meat grinder laying
>> > around?
>>
>> Guilty - still operational, though it usually needs a little help to
>> spin up :)
>
> Back around '95/96 or so I had a hammer on my desk to "help" spin up a
> pair of old Quantum drives (200 meggers, with the infamous stiction
> problem) in a SS1+.  Any time the machine lost power I'd have to shove
> the st00pid heavy Sun monitor aside, pop the lid, and then wait for
> just the right moment to gently whack the side of the box... I got
> pretty good at it.

Remember the "Hard Card"?  I had one of those that if I took it out and
shook it side-to-side it would start working again.  Scared teh hell out
of a customer doing that.  ;-)

That was many many moons ago...

> Of course, I told visitors at the hammer was my preferred LART at the
> time (eventually replaced by a 2' section of 200-pr copper phone
> cable). :-)
>
> My favorite hard drive is still the Shugart SA4000 (24MB, baby!)
> belt-driven 14" drive with the smoked plexiglass cover, so you can
> watch the heads move.  So cool.

I currently don't have the power to spin it up but to me nothing beats the
sound of the RA82 I have at home.  That powerfull turbine sounding
spin-up.  =-)

Mike
----
"Without balance and consistent growth the only option is to degrade.
There is no other solution." - Anonymous