[rescue] $35 50gig drives

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Wed May 4 15:51:44 CDT 2005

On Wed, 04 May 2005, "Rox" wrote:

> On 4 May 2005 at 14:49, Wes Will wrote:
>
> > Anybody else still have an ST225, Seagate 20-meg meat grinder laying
> > around?
>
> Guilty - still operational, though it usually needs a little help to
> spin up :)

Back around '95/96 or so I had a hammer on my desk to "help" spin up a
pair of old Quantum drives (200 meggers, with the infamous stiction
problem) in a SS1+.  Any time the machine lost power I'd have to shove the
st00pid heavy Sun monitor aside, pop the lid, and then wait for just the
right moment to gently whack the side of the box... I got pretty good at
it.

Of course, I told visitors at the hammer was my preferred LART at the time
(eventually replaced by a 2' section of 200-pr copper phone cable). :-)

My favorite hard drive is still the Shugart SA4000 (24MB, baby!)
belt-driven 14" drive with the smoked plexiglass cover, so you can watch
the heads move.  So cool.

-- Chris