[rescue] Prices... Amazing

Nate nate at portents.com
Tue May 3 09:41:29 CDT 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Peter Corlett wrote:

> I'd say that you don't understand the laws of thermodynamics if you
> can dismiss them so readily. *All* energy in a closed system
> eventually turns into waste heat.

I was implicitly assuming that we weren't talking about a closed system
because a computer is anything *but* a closed system.  The way it's
connected both to the power grid and to other computer components and
peripherals makes it a very messy and imperfect sort of 'system' to model
in the physical sense.  You can pretend all you want that a computer is a
'closed system' but try and find a physicist who will agree to that.

- nate