[rescue] Prices... Amazing

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 2 15:42:34 CDT 2005

Sun, 01 May 2005 @ 15:26 -0400, Lionel Peterson said:

> >I was hoping it would be more like a Sun U2 with a 6-drive bay, but the
> >drive prices are pushing the cost higher than I want.
>
> Sounds like an E250 is called for here - it will take 6x 1.6" SCA drives,
> which are quite affordable these days (50 Gig drives for about $35)...

That might work.

Those 50 gig drives... they are new?  Do they support S.M.A.R.T.?

S.M.A.R.T. has saved my butt more than once.  It's a little hokey how
they didnt' standardize enough of it, but so far Seagate drives pretty
reliabily report failure ahead of time.

While a lot of used drives will work at first, they are unknown
quantities in the long term.  I much rather get unused drives.

I really don't want to be replacing them before at least 2-3 years are
up, and I'd like some warning.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.