[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon May 2 10:48:31 CDT 2005

On 5/1/05, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Basically what you want is straight shot airflow, ideally speaking.

Like the G5. :-)

> > If you can't get that, at least try to go front-back, and avoid too much
> > internal turbulence.
>
> Actually, I generally try to go back-to-front, because the back fan
> vents are generally further off the ground and further from foot traffic
> (and hence, in marginally cleaner air) than the front ones.

I have my case up off the floor on a table and it doesn't help all
that much (no filters).  A few months back I went to a heatpipe/
flower-type heatsink on my graphics card.  This weekend I
replaced my dinky Northbridge's jet engine fan (surprising just
how much noise a 1.25" fan can make) with a super tall heatsink.

After using the PB most of the time, I could barely stand turning
on the PC b/c of the noise.  Now it's tolerable.  I may still replace
the case fans with some ThermalTakes I found that are only 21db.
If they had the temperature controller like my current Tt cpu fan,
I'd toss one on the cpu heatsink as well.

Kinda sad to have to invest so much on accessories to silence
the thing.  If I include the psu that responds to temp/load in the
total, I probably have more invested in "quiet" kit than at least
the last 3 hard drives.  And def. more than the mobo/cpu cost.
I think even the graphics card cost more than the mobo/cpu.
:-/

=Nadine=