[rescue] decisions, decisions

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun May 1 14:23:48 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Shannon Hendrix" <shannon at widomaker.com>
To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [rescue] decisions, decisions

> Wed, 27 Apr 2005 @ 17:39 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo said:
>
>> To be fair to Solaris 10, there is no system, so far, that I have
>> found it refuse to boot on.  Including the cheapie Athlon mobo I have.
>
> For me, three tries, three failures.
>
> I *HATE* the Solaris x86 installer.

Data Point:

I have some nice little Compaq Deskpro EN Small Form Factor machines -
Solaris 10 installs fine on them, supporting all hardware natively *except*
sound :^( Haven't tried any 3rd-party drivers) - Linux won't install on
them!?!?!

It seems, at a minimum, to be a video driver/framebuffer-type issue, the
install of Fedora Core 3 was fine when the install started, but as it
progressed, the screen ceased to be updated, but by moving the mouse around
on the screen, I was able to "find" things to click to keep the install
moving forward. Once install was completed, it rebooted to "door stop" mode.

I'm going to install Solaris 10 on the machine and cal it a day - I was
shocked that Fedora wouldn't install successfully...

Lionel