[rescue] decisions, decisions

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 1 13:48:56 CDT 2005

Thu, 28 Apr 2005 @ 10:55 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> To fan the flames, I rather like Ubuntu.  It just worked on my P3 system
> when Debian and RH would crash and burn during installation.  Plus, with
> Ubuntu, I don't have to spend as many weeks trying to get updates from
> stable over a 26.4k connection.

I would put in my vote for Slackware.

Very stable and well built.  Not as fancy as Manrake/RedHat/SuSE, but
more updated than Debian and IMHO easier to work with.

> Does perl let you stick the code in html in <?php ?> blocks?  That seems
> to be part of it's popularity.

That's not a function of Perl, but rather Apache, and yes you can do
that with a number of different setups.

> Though, that doesn't seem to be a very scalable way to do heavy
> development to me.  But, my only experience with PHP is editing other
> peoples packages to run on my server.  I think to other languages than
> PHP/perl for web app development when I need to do it.

I think the way most WWW apps are done sucks.  It's easy, but that isn't
always a good thing.

I hate the idea of mixing application and UI code anyway.  Too much
PHP and other WWW software is a spaghetti mix of the guts and the
UI together, which makes reading, maintaining, and changing it more
difficult than it needs to be.

I much rather have a backend that is the actual application, freeing you
to write the front-ends in whatever is best suited for it.  You get the
added benefit of being able to support non WWW UIs as well.

I understand why embedded languages like PHP are popular, but it seems a
really messy way to write programs to me.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.