[rescue] More Origin 2000 Q's

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Wed Mar 30 09:33:55 CST 2005

So,

I'm finding out more I don't know about SGI's...

Today's question is around PROM levels and getting things up to where they
should be.

This started after I added some node boards to my O2K, and started getting
some DOWNREV PROM messages during the discovery of the router boards during
boot diagnostics- don't have the message handy, but I can get it.

References I've found show that older router boards may generate this
message when a 250Mhz or newer node board is in the system, which would be
the case, since my system has 7 2x195Mhz node boards, and 1 2x250 node
boards. The interesting thing is that it was OK when I had three 195 boards
and one 250 board, but came on when I populated with the rest of the 195
boards. In any event, both modules seem to be OK via CrayLink, since the
machine reports itself with 16 CPU's as I would expect.

Now, moving on to the question <grin>. Checking things in general with the
'flash' command, it appeared that the PROM revs on the node boards were
different- some at 6.75 and some at 6.69. I used the flash command, which
updates the PROMs with the image file in /usr/cpu/firmware. However, it
appears that the image there must be 6.69, since it wouldn't update the
boards with 6.75, and appears to have re-flashed the 6.69 boards with 6.69
again.

The reference I can find says that the PROMs are normally flashed "during
IRIX installation". How/where do I get the more current flash image and get
all the boards up to 6.75 or whatever is current? The install on this
machine was 6.5.12, which the update to 6.5.22. I certainly might have not
done something right during the 6.5.22 update... It appears the boards with
the 6.75 version of the image were the ones I installed later- that might
explain why the router boards didn't start complaining until after they went
in.

Also, should I worry about the DOWNREV PROM messages on the router boards
since things seem to be working correctly? Should I worry that the node
boards are not at the same flash level?

This has been a fun machine to work on- and with a little help from a
friend, I should have it up near or over 16GB of RAM soon. Pretty good,
since it's only running off of one 9GB disk right now :-) However, the heat
output is making it problematic to run in it's current location...

TIA for any help,

Steve

godzilla 1# flash -V
Info for prom at /hw/module/1/slot/io1/baseio/pci/controller
 Prom version 6.69
Info for prom at /hw/module/2/slot/n3/node/prom
 Prom version 6.69
Info for prom at /hw/module/2/slot/n1/node/prom
 Prom version 6.69
Info for prom at /hw/module/1/slot/n3/node/prom
 Prom version 6.75
Info for prom at /hw/module/1/slot/n1/node/prom
 Prom version 6.75
Info for prom at /hw/module/2/slot/io1/baseio/pci/controller
 Prom version 6.75
Info for prom at /hw/module/2/slot/n4/node/prom
 Prom version 6.75
Info for prom at /hw/module/2/slot/n2/node/prom
 Prom version 6.69
Info for prom at /hw/module/1/slot/n4/node/prom
 Prom version 6.69
Info for prom at /hw/module/1/slot/n2/node/prom
 Prom version 6.75

IP27prom in Module 1/Slot n1: Revision 6.75
IP27prom in Module 1/Slot n2: Revision 6.75
IP27prom in Module 1/Slot n3: Revision 6.75
IP27prom in Module 1/Slot n4: Revision 6.69
IO6prom on Global Master Baseio in Module 1/Slot io1: Revision 6.69
IP27prom in Module 2/Slot n1: Revision 6.69
IP27prom in Module 2/Slot n2: Revision 6.69
IP27prom in Module 2/Slot n3: Revision 6.69
IP27prom in Module 2/Slot n4: Revision 6.75