[rescue] Enterprise monitoring/reporting?

Louis Erickson lerickson at rdwarf.net
Sat Mar 26 06:55:04 CST 2005

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 07:00:29PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 05:02:36PM -0500, Nick wrote:
> > > So buy the commercial version of BB.. nearly all the bennies of each
> > > camp.
> >
> > Is it still just a pile of shell scripts?  last time I looked at it,
> > I was highly unimpressed.

I've just been helping the place I work implement a new monitoring system.
I missed the start of this conversation, so I don't know the scale of the
items to monitor.  We used BB... the commercial version... and it was not
that great.

We tried several other solutions, and they were also not great.

Not horrid, but not great.

We've just finished with a vendor called IT GroundWorks, who takes open
source solutions such as RRDTool and Nagios, and turns them in to a
complete system.  They also provide training and documentation.  When
you're done, you own the whole mess, and can deploy it anywhere you want,
and can get support from them if you like.  They can help with any
customization needed, as well.

We found this a good combination; customization by experts, with no
ongoing maintenance charges, and a system we helped build so we understood
it.

The components they're using are all available anyway, but having them
come in and show us how to make them sing and dance was worthwhile.

--
Louis Erickson - lerickson at rdwarf.net - http://www.rdwarf.com/~wwonko/

No problem is so formidable that you can't just walk away from it.