[rescue] Ultra 5/10 RAM redux

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Thu Mar 24 10:44:57 CST 2005

On Thursday, March 24, 2005, at 11:34  AM, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm in need of some more RAM for my Ultra 5 and as a followup to the
> recent
> thread, need a bit of clarity...
>
> What's the cheapest RAM I can use in an Ultra 5? Can I use any 3.3V
> ECC EDO
> DIMMs or are there gotchas I should be aware of? In particular, I'm
> worried
> about the U5 possibly only seeing half the RAM on a DIMM, etc (should I
> check the chip count)? A pair of Compaq ECC EDO 128M DIMMs can be had
> for
> $24.95 BIN on ePay (and 4x128M for $48 BIN), which is a tad bit cheaper
> than buying Sun branded U5/10 RAM.

I have in the past used Compaq memory in the U5/10 with good results.

> I assume that I can get the machine up to 1G (officially supported by
> the
> U10 but not the U5) if I can find 256M DIMMs that'll fit in the case?

Yes the problem is the drive mount in the U5 which forces you to use
low profile DIMMs.

> *phew* So many questions :)  Now to continue the hunt for a SCSI
> controller...  (anyone got a Symbios 875-based card they wanna let go
> cheaply? :)

You shoulda pinged me a month ago. I had a couple of NIB Sun OEM SCSI
boards that I sold cheaply.

I might have a Performance Technologies SCSI PCI DIFF UW card available.

--
Mike N

No I am not deaf. I am ignoring you.