[rescue] Ultra 5/10 RAM redux

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Thu Mar 24 10:34:14 CST 2005

Hi all

I'm in need of some more RAM for my Ultra 5 and as a followup to the recent
thread, need a bit of clarity...

What's the cheapest RAM I can use in an Ultra 5? Can I use any 3.3V ECC EDO
DIMMs or are there gotchas I should be aware of? In particular, I'm worried
about the U5 possibly only seeing half the RAM on a DIMM, etc (should I
check the chip count)? A pair of Compaq ECC EDO 128M DIMMs can be had for
$24.95 BIN on ePay (and 4x128M for $48 BIN), which is a tad bit cheaper
than buying Sun branded U5/10 RAM.

I assume that I can get the machine up to 1G (officially supported by the
U10 but not the U5) if I can find 256M DIMMs that'll fit in the case?

*phew* So many questions :)  Now to continue the hunt for a SCSI
controller...  (anyone got a Symbios 875-based card they wanna let go
cheaply? :)

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/