[rescue] Enterprise monitoring/reporting?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Mon Mar 21 19:40:45 CST 2005

I know this isn't really the right place, but some of the Sun-only lists might
be too one-sided...  I'm hoping the broad base here will get me a few leads.

$work is using BMC Software's PATROL systems monitoring / automated-recovery
package and is looking for alternatives.  I was wondering if anyone is
familiar with PATROL, what their experiences are, and if anyone is aware of
alternatives... whether good or bad.

I'm looking for cross-platform... HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, Wintel.  I need
notification and statistical collection/reporting.  I'm looking to manage
about 2-300 machines.  And I'd really like something comparable to PATROL's
extensibility... I've become quite good at writing PSL and hacking the PATROL
virtual machine.  But the product in many cases is more than we need and is
quite expensive.

If finding a good cross-platform tool is difficult, I may be able to live with
separate Wintel and *nix tools, but I'd rather avoid the duplicated
maintenance effort...

PATROL is a good product, but it's not quite mature enough and I am running
too lean on time to debug it for them.

Thanks,
Eric