[rescue] Sun 3/3x Archive?

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Fri Mar 18 12:30:54 CST 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 7:46 AM, Michael Doyle wrote:

> Many thanks for all the replies. Thanks to Ed about clarifying the
> actual name of this connector - nice to know. Guess I should try
> searching for a resource that has such details (D vs. DB vs DD).

I'll save you some effort.

DA - nominal 15-pin size, ethernet AUI, PC Joystick
DB - nominal 25-pin size, old-school serial & parallel ports, Macintosh
SCSI, etc. Also, the common workstation video connector is properly a
DB13W3.
DC - nominal 37-pin size, IBM PC external floppy disk drive
DD - nominal 50-pin size, old-school SUN SCSI
DE - nominal 9-pin size, newer PC serial port. Also, the normal VGA
connector is properly a DE15.

Not really "standardized", but notionally:

DF - nominal 19-pin size, NeXT video, old-school Macintosh external
floppy disk drive, Atari ASCI
DG - nominal 23-pin size, Amiga video & external floppy disk drive.

Besides the "W" designator for coaxial pairs, there's another
designator for oversize pins, which may be used in high-current
applications.

Note that the "high density" versions of these shells (which I didn't
mention because I can't remember off the top of my head the numbers of
pins) don't get any special "extra" indicator, apart from the shell
size and number of pins (like the DE15 VGA connector).

ok
bear