[rescue] WTT: 711 drive box

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Mar 8 23:24:55 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 01:06, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >>From: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net>
> >>Date: 2005/03/08 Tue AM 02:15:14 GMT
> >>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> >>Subject: [rescue] WTT: 711 drive box
> >>
> >>I'm looking to trade a 12 slot 711 drive box for a
> >>6 slot 711 drive box (the one with the 'UltraSCSI'
> >>label on the front).
> >

> > Just curious, why not just use every other slot? Not to familiar with this piece, and wondering if there is a difference I'm missing...
>
> Speed.  The 6-slot 711 is a 6-slot device because of total bus length
> considerations for UltraSCSI.  The 12-slot 711 will not run at UltraSCSI
> speed, because the bus length on its backplane makes the overall bus too
> long.

This might be so... (by spec), but I've been using a 12 slotter at
UltraSCSI speed for almost 5 years w/o problem.  Admittedly I don't
use any longer of an external SCSI cable than req'd and the 711 is
the only device on that external bus (although there is a short
internal buss length on that chain as well).

I guess YMMV depending on your SCSI chain, quality of termination,
bus noise, etc.

-- Curt