[rescue] OT: Network Blinkenlights

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Mar 8 20:52:51 CST 2005

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 @ 05:58 -0800, Isaac said:

> Yes, on the continuum of security risks, this one is way down there.

Can anyone say with a straight face that a place which needs to worry
about a threat that low, and which is also just marginally competent, is
incapable of covering the windows where the blinking lights are?

I find it interesting that this guy talks about being able to see
blinking lights through windows as a security problem, when the
windows themselves are a far larger problem.

RF energy is a more likely risk.

> That said, the (large) core switches in my employer's colo have no
> blinkenlights at all, just bicolor leds for error and link status.

The large core switches in a very top secret place I once worked had
extensive blinking lights on everything that could have been seen a mile
away.

Our problem was solved by a fascinating new technology called walls.

In another shop, one of our most visionary technicians discovered
that wood blocks light, thus solving the problem in a building with
non-optional windows.

Isn't technology wonderful?

> I'm not contending that the steady-blink-for-traffic LEDs aren't
> annoying, or that blink-once-per-frame traffic LEDs aren't useful, mind.
> Just playing devil's advocate, a bit.

Understood, but this really is silly.

It's a trivial problem with a trivial solution.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]