[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sat Mar 5 16:09:51 CST 2005

On Saturday 05 March 2005 12:58 pm, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Also, since IDE drives have to have a controller on each drive,
> shouldn't they technically cost more than an identical SCSI drive?
>
> Or do the extra capabilities of SCSI mean that their PCB is just as
> complex?

I guess I'm surprised by this one... and I'm not arguing the point because I
really don't know better.

"a controller on each drive"...I had always heard that (beyond other reasons)
IDE was cheaper because there was less electronics onboard the drive and more
of it was handled on the motherboard (or maybe in software...)?  I thought
with SCSI, each unit was more of an intelligent, standalone entity that
shared an intelligent (versus braindead) bus?  There being less "protocol" to
IDE, the drive electronics were simpler...

-E.