[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Sat Mar 5 12:23:06 CST 2005

> NCQ is supposed to help.
>
> What I don't understand is why the industry wasted so much time IDE.
>
> SCSI was better, and at the same quantities, the price should be about
> the same.
>
> I don't see any reason for IDE to have ever existed.

PRICE PRICE PRICE!

If you knew how much Dell etc. squeeeeeze their suppliers, you would
understand.  They care about 10 cents of extra cost.  Just having the
SCSI ID jumpers on the PCB costs 10 cents or more extra.

IDE - if you plug it in the right way, it works.  No termination, SCSI
IDs to set, etc.  Idiot-proof, for the reason that idiots are often
the ones hired to put PCs together.

--Patrick