[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Mar 5 12:02:30 CST 2005

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 @ 11:39 -0800, Phil Stracchino said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > In fact, I don't think RAID 0 is ever worth the risk, unless it is for
> > something where only speed matters.
>
> I use RAID0 on minbar's 711 pack.  But all that's stored on it is source
> code that I can always download again in the worst case, MP3s that I can
> always rip again in the worst case, little of the data ever changes, and
> it's all backed up on tape anyway.

Well, that's a fine example of what I mean: its data that you can afford
to lose.

I loved playing games on a friend's Windows box last year.  It had a 4
drive raid 0, and it was screaming fast.  He put all games on the drive
array completely, and there was just no waiting.

Of course, you can get some of that speed benefit by running a mirror,
and you get some reliabiity too.

Is that a Sun 711?  I would like to find one of those for a good price.

If you get the one that holds 6 drive, can it handle the 1.6 inch high
drives?

It seems a lot easier to get 1.6 inch SCSI drives cheaply right now.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]