[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Mar 4 11:48:38 CST 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:41:06 -0600
erie <erie at shelbyvilledesign.com> wrote:

> The only thing that worries me about SATA drives is that the hda is
> (quoting a friend of mine that works for a HD mfr) "identical to the
> ones used in our IDE line"..
Sure. SATA is consumer grade. It is a replacement for the old PATA /
IDE. SCSI will go SAS. (Serial Attached SCSI) The fun thing is that you
can attach a SATA disk to a SAS contoler but not the other way around.
Looks a bit like SAS is intended to replace copper FC-AL.

Take it the other way around. SCSI disks are as expensive as they have
been for ever. IDE dives got really cheap (and crappy) in the last
years.

> anyone notice how long ata drives last these days?
Depends. At workwe have some Seagate 80 GB IDE drives running 24/7 in a
IDE-to-SCSI RAID for a few years now. Up to now only one drive died.

> reliability is suspect
This is the reason why I would use SATA drives only in RAID systems.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen