[rescue] Solaris 10 x86 hardware support

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Thu Mar 3 00:03:43 CST 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:20:09AM -0500, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> What gives with the HCL ?
>
> Sun used to have a nice HCL.  An HCL you could have confidence
> in .... the one everywhere on there site seems to link to know
> is one that people submit to and seems to cover multiple
> versions ????

Right, they just have an "it works here" list, plus a small list of
fully-tested boxes.

> What gives ?  Don't they have an official list of supported
> hardware, controllers, etc  like they used to  ???  or are you
> just supposed to try it and if it works be happy ?

You might be able to search the list by device type, I did it just
this morning.

> Looks like I'll be going software RAID... ??? Don't know if
> any hardware SCSI RAID controllers are supported for the PCI
> bus on Solaris 10.... and can't seem to figure out how to
> find a list of ones that are (if any).

Good news is that software RAID is supposed to be much improved.  I
hope it is.

> Also... initial boot/install seems awefully slow (on a dual
> P3 500 ! WTF ?) at least until the point where you get to
> start picking timezone, options, and then theoretically
> disks (which it can't find because they ripped out support
> for the RAID controller).

Doesn't take very long for me; try disabling ACPI or APM and see if
things get better for you.

> I tried loading the Solaris 8 driver update disk from compaq
> but it fails to load the driver because it can't find a
> symbol (regarding EISA I'm guessing because of the symbol's

A lot of changes to the kernel between 8 and 10.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Web hosting        |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $49.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $79.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $225/month        |