[rescue] O2 rescue: advice for an SGI (relative) newbie

Espen Randen rescue at lpl.nu
Tue Mar 1 10:54:01 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 06:02:44PM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> I've just acquired my first SGI system, an O2. It has 128M RAM,
> a 150 Mhz R10K CPU and came with 2x4G drives (one internal,
> one external). Luckily it came with IRIX media - both 6.3
> and 6.5.4.  I'm busy downloading the 6.5.22 maintenance
> update (I don't have a support contract :P)
>
> Today I purchased an 18G SCA drive to replace the internal
> drive and I'm going to hunt around for more RAM (I'd guess
> that 512M would be a comfortable target?) Anyone have any
> RAM they're looking to sell?

I have 6 original SGI RAM modules from a dead O2 that I'm not using
anymore as I've maxed out the RAM slots on my working O2.

They all have a yellow line on them which is supposed to tell you
the size of the modules, but I can't remember what it means, and
Google isn't being helpful either.
I think they all are 32MB, but I'm sure one of the SGI gurus on this
list known more about this then me.

--
"YOU, with the C++ compiler and no knowledge of how computers work!
Back away from the keyboard with your hands up, NOW!"