[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 30 09:40:01 CDT 2005

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: Mon Jun 27 20:25:41 CDT 2005
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

<snip>
>They just announced an $895 Opteron system, or, if you pay $30 a month for 3 years, they give you the hardware, plus Sun Studio 10 and some other software, plus they give you a Sun support contract (which I suppose lets you access all the stuff that used to be free).
<snip>

Anyone getting one? I remember Mr. Bill indicated he planned on getting one, and I may as well. Anyone know the difference between "standard" 3 year warranty (included with purchase) and "Silver" support contract (at $300+)?

I'm considering the following setup:

Base system $895
Keyboard    $ 45 (mouse included?!?!?)
512 Meg     $140 (takes memory to 1 Gig)
Double RAM  $  0 (coupon to double memory to 2 Gig, ECC :^P
NVS280      $110 (can't justify $400+ graphics, and base video is so minimal)
            ----
Total     $1,190

I'll swap out the 80 Gig SATA drive for dual 250 Gig SATA (does anyone know if the system supports hardware SATA RAID 0/1? The white paper I downloaded only talks about RAID 0/1 under WinXP X64).

Also, I wonder when the dual core version will ship? I'm tempted to go for the 90 day try-and-buy deal, if the dual core system will be out in the next 90 days...

Sorry for dragging this thread back on topic ;^)

Lionel