[rescue] Looking : Sgi/Sun stuff

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jun 29 08:51:34 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:36:46AM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 09:26, Wes Will wrote:
> > >
> > >I just sat at one last night that was 24-bit.
> > >Mike Hebel
> >
> > My campus-supplied work box, on the properties display under Winsucks
> > XceptionallyPutrid, currently set at 32-bit colour, 1280x1024 size.  It's a
>
> I don't think anyone understood what I was trying to say.
>
> Yes, you can feed 24bit color to an LCD panel and it will accept the signal and give you nice pretty colors.
>
> But, if you feed it
>
> RGB 90,202,90
>
> and then beside it put
>
> RGB 90,200,90
>
> Will the LCD truly display two different colors (in varying the
> intensity of the r,g,b pixels).

Well I certainly can't tell the difference in the gimp between those
particular shades, though I can tell the difference between 202 and 203,
which I don't believe would be crossing a 6 bit boundary, while 200 to
202 is crossing a 6 bit boundary (C8 to CA).

Also, the gimp does a lot of magic behind the scene so it is a poor
choice for testing here.  However, EOG is even worse because it smooths
the image as you zoom in.  I'm not, at this point, going to write a
program just to test it.

BTW, going from 42,0,0 to 45,0,0 isvisible and is also shades
varying with only the last two bits.  I don't know about you, but I can
see gradiations better in the darker shades.

The LCD I'm looking at, BTW, was a sub $400 model 2.5 years ago.

> Many LCD panels only give you 6bits of color for each channel .

Well I could be wrong, but I think that the days when desktop and laptop
LCDs only gave you that much are past.  OTOH, I wouldn't be surpised if
that's all that comes out of the better Palms and Pocket PCs, or
portable DVD players.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net