[rescue] Looking : Sgi/Sun stuff

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Jun 28 12:32:01 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 10:56, Aaron Finley wrote:
> Andrew Weiss wrote:
>
> Well what are you doing with it? Whats your app? The Viewsonic is
> perfect for web work and web browsing and word processing and the like,
> but when I try to do color corrections and compositing on it, the pixels
> are right there in my face.

I thought that LCDs were limited to 18bit color resolution or so?  Until that changes wouldn't you see artifacts anyways?

Aside:  have you checked out whether you are running at the proper gamma?

> And finally, I do not see how I am too picky as many have suggested, if
> I do not have the problem with my *8 year old* SGI 1600SW. Come on, LCD
> technology should have improved somewhere along the last 8 years. But

The tech has improved but the price has come down by what, 75% ?  Thus they are going to shoot for a profitable middle between price and performance.

> I did look at the Apple Cinemas, and they were liveable. So maybe I will
> get the LG version (same panel) of the Apple 23.

Dream:  take Apple's largest LCD display.

Build into a desk with a glass surface and add some kind of touch-sensitive capability.

Drag and drop, literally.

--Patrick