[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Tue Jun 28 11:55:09 CDT 2005

Brian Dunbar wrote:
> On Jun 28, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
>
>>I don't think so. I would still rather have a nice hefty SPARC box
>>rather than a glorified PC running things that matter.
>>
>>Comparing the U20 to stuff like the e450 or the like is kind of silly.
>>They really don't compare.
>>
>>I am very interested in picking up a U20 myself, but for a
>>workstation.
>>Any server I run will be designed as a server, not a commodity pc.
>>
>>shawn
>

> These might make 'adequate' boxes for a small business.  You don't
> need an e450 to run a retail store but some of the stuff my wife
> wants to do with her shop a low-end  unix box would do quite well.

If you don't mind downtime they might be adequate. Given the price
point, I can't see these machines being built out of very good quality
parts (specifically the power supplies).

We run over 300 machines here now, all of them PC's. But I only buy top
quality parts, so we don't run into many problems (but still more than I
run into with my Sun's though). Our file servers were up to 400 days
uptime before we had to shut them down because the City had to work on
the main power lines coming into the building, so we were going to lose
power for 4-6 hours (way longer than our UPSes could handle).

I personally wouldn't trust the U20 to anything I needed to be up and
running for our business to function.

shawn